Monday, March 30, 2009

on the man crush

i watched Tiger dominate yesterday. he systematically staged a comeback that culminated in an 18th hole birdie that was high drama. i don't play golf, never have, and don't see it in my future, but i like me some Tiger.

i am not sure that i like me some Tiger as much as the announcers liked them some Tiger though. i can't be sure how many times they made some kind of admiring comment about him, mainly because i was too busy flipping back to the college basketball games that were on yesterday (and yes, my bracket has finally imploded), but it got out of control at the end.

statements like, "good thing he has been lifting weights," or "this shot will take all the strength he can muster up from those hours in the gym," or "i don't like it when Tiger wears those muscle shirts; i'm more of a straight polo shirt and slacks kind of guy," or my favorite of the day, "it is a good thing Tiger can bench 450 pounds because it will take all of it right now," were regular announcing fodder. i understand that Tiger is ripped. i remember the days of his youth when he wasn't as huge and i guess couldn't bench 450 pounds, but it was out of control.

for a comparison let us consider the two following photos:



the photo on the left is ca.2000 and shows a much less muscular and strong Tiger, yet no less dominate, and the photo on the right is ca.2009 and shows a Tiger who can apparently bench 450 pounds. needless to say the announcers had a not-so-discrete man crush on Tiger. and i can be honest and say that he is an admirable selection for a man crush. the dude freaking dominates on a golf course and he is good looking. as early as the second hole i had a deep feeling in my gut that the poor kid out in front, sean o'hair, did not have a chance. i only wish Tiger had slammed his hat into the ground again like he did last year when he won the Arnold Palmer Invitational tournament on another last hole birdie.

i am just not sure that Tiger gets my top vote for my man crush. it is probably Dean Karnazes or Lance Armstrong. two equally amazing athletes to Tiger. who is your man or woman crush?

3 comments:

LKR said...

I think we might also need to consider the fashion evolution of the polo shirt from 2000 to 2009. Mens shirts took a huge slim down and lost all of that bulky weight somewhere around 2005...

Allen said...

Athlete man-crush is definitely the Roger. He was the reason I kept watching tennis after AK and I stopped living together sophomore year, and now I'm a huge tennis fan.

Non-athlete I think I'm going to have to mimic Durrett and pick the ultimate movie star Nick Cage. Or maybe Viggo Mortenson or Bruce Willis. Too many awesome dudes out there to pick just one.

Anonymous said...

My man crush, more than any other is Sean Connery. But, I must admit a man crush also on Tiger, Federer, Wayne Rooney, Troy Aikman, and Will Smith.